Author Topic: Thoughtful, worthwhile meanderings(?)  (Read 3044 times)

Offline Desiree Fleck

• View Profile
Re: Thoughtful, worthwhile meanderings(?)
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 08:31:30 PM »
I think that this is a beautiful idea and many people will certainly be interested in being involved with it. It is great to have several initiatives that we encourage as a group. I echo what Thom is saying that in the Fall and Winter I would be more likely to help with it than in the Spring and Summer which proves to be incredibly busy a lot of the time. Regardless, people should go for it and help out as much as they want. If I'm available, I'll help, if not then I won't.. and so it goes. I'm behind the effort, especially things like community clean ups, roadside cleaning, and something I think would be exceptionally cool is a STREAM TEAM! Doing more with our local waterways would be awesome and I volunteer to be involved in that.

Offline Matt Hitt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 04:37:37 PM »
Hey guys I would and will volunteer my help anytime I'm around and I am physical able to     just getting over abruised heal and im about ready    if someone needs something help we should give it to them if we can   perhaps we can aid someone in getting ready for the winter

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 10:22:19 PM »
Do you really think the subject title is the reason for low viewing?

Chuck

No, not really. But I think a better suited title can't hurt. I couldn't tell what this thread was about by the title and even had trouble after reading your opening post  ???

As to the workparty for non-members, I think it's a good idea to coordinate with local churches to identify candidates, perhaps make it a "christmas time / thanksgiving" or cold weather preparation effort. I don't think it should be an ongoing or done too frequently. Monthly work parties keep us pretty busy along with the other projects on our agenda.

At some point members will become overwhelmed. Good to have a variety to cater to the different skill sets and preferences of all our members though.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:47:13 PM by Thom »
You'll become a better person if you surround yourself with the quality of people that model the virtues you seek for yourself. But first take a deep look inside yourself and fix the only sure thing you have control over - you.

Offline Chuck Blanchard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 06:42:51 AM »
Magda and I discussed the once a quarter time frame. I was thinking more in terms of helping individuals, but I do like the ideas you offered, and certainly is worth exploring. Using local churches to help identify folks who could use the help is a possibility.

Do you really think the subject title is the reason for low viewing?

Chuck

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 11:00:27 AM »
Perhaps (just a thought) the thread might attract more attention with a title closer to what you had in mind, like

Work party for the community anyone?

If you want to change the title of this thread I believe you can do that with the "modify" link above your opening post on the right. If not let me know what you want the new title to be and I will change it in the database directly.

Here's another thought - lets combine the quarterly potluck with a "community work party". We could do things like pick up road trash, plant trees, paint the bridge (just kidding) or find some project that benefits the community in general, not specific people in it.
You'll become a better person if you surround yourself with the quality of people that model the virtues you seek for yourself. But first take a deep look inside yourself and fix the only sure thing you have control over - you.

Offline Chuck Blanchard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 06:41:10 PM »
We had that conversation yesterday. Hadn't thought of it in terms of "going place to place in Theodosia".  I posted this to get input from the group. I would characterize it as community outreach. Exactly what this would look like is open to discussion. I am hoping there will be more input than you and I Thom.

Chuck

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 10:14:22 AM »
I'm confused what you're talking about Chuck. Sounds like a conversation the founders of O.N.E. might have had before it got off the ground.

Your post was devoid of specific actions (help someone?) or a proposal. That's why I'm confused.

Are you proposing a "general" workparty that would go place to place in Theodosia to work on general fixup items? A community outreach workparty?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:18:00 AM by Thom »

Offline Chuck Blanchard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thoughtful, worthwhile meanderings(?)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 03:07:45 PM »
So, Galen and myself had got together to head over to Jon's to work on the sorghum mill. Galen brought up the idea of a work party to help someone in the Theodosia community in need. Like home maintenance help, fixup stuff like that. We happened to bump into Marsha Brown at Cookies and shared the idea. Marsha thought it was great. Got out to Jon and Jules and shared the idea. Wow! What a thought, neighbour helping neighbour.  Any thoughts, feedback or otherwise from you all?

Chuck

anything