Author Topic: Membership and Dues  (Read 3307 times)

Offline Magda Preston

• View Profile
Re: Membership and Dues
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 02:14:49 PM »
I can go with that - one price per person.  I was just reflecting what Margie said about a break for couples/families.

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 10:23:04 PM »
Magda, what is your reasoning for discounts / price breaks for couples or families? If we're keeping it simple seems like one price per voting person is better.
You'll become a better person if you surround yourself with the quality of people that model the virtues you seek for yourself. But first take a deep look inside yourself and fix the only sure thing you have control over - you.

Offline Magda Preston

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 08:45:35 PM »
Great discussion.  :)  I also prefer that everyone who votes pays dues.  Consider that it could be a bit cumbersome to count votes if we allow a couple to pay for only one vote ($10 or $12).  Would people remember that they share one vote?  Would we have to keep a list and hand out ballots? Just something to think about.

I prefer to keep it simple by having a set dues amount for each person and a slight break for couples/families. Each adult gets to vote.  For instance, $13 per person and $22 per couple/family. We would have to vote on the age of adult of course.

Offline patrick quinn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 10:49:04 AM »
Kept in mind that the website is public, the forum requires login.

Forum login is not a requirement for membership, it is a perk of membership. Some do not have internet access, or want it.

Add 100usd to Thom's budget, of 480usd, for flyers, stamps, and sundries. Becomes 580usd / 50 members=11.60, rounded up 12usd per member. Dues on the basis of ability to pay, discretion, trust, are words that come to mind.

Personally members are individuals, no couple discounts, 18yrs or accepted by consensus as mature. All members have a voice and can vote even "in absentia".

This plus the 50/50 and additional fund raisers will fix ONE up for some future projects, tools for the community garden for example. A surplus is always good
All those presently attending meetings are, if they choose, members. Members would sponsor potential new members who would be accepted by community consensus, after paying dues, and an oath of allegiance, he,he

As all ways questions and more latter…..

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 02:36:03 PM »
I think it's important to recognize that it's the people that bring value to O.N.E.

To address Magda's 1st question on what value does membership in O.N.E. return, what she said are the obvious tangibles. But the intangibles are far more valuable, like the friendships and genuine connectedness. And that is what I moved to the Ozarks to find. It has taken a long time to develop, but I feel it has arrived with O.N.E.

Dues also represent some level of commitment and of ownership. Being a dues paying member means you have a stake or stock in O.N.E.  People take better care of things they own. When was the last time you changed the oil on a rental car? If a person has the attitude they can participate only by paying dues then they miss the point of O.N.E. and I myself prefer those people don't even join.

Ownership and responsibility go hand in hand, you can't have one without the other. Paying dues is part of that responsibility. If you believe in O.N.E.'s mission and desire it to sustain itself, it is self evident some form of dues are required. But it's also important we consider the poor in our community and set reasonable dues. So I will make a couple of suggestions:

1) Let's consider setting aside a portion of O.N.E.'s proceeds raised by the 50 / 50 bucket drawings for a membership dues offset fund. More on that under the new business forum.

2) Current known expenses without discounts for meeting space and website hosting are around $480 a year ($360+$120). O.N.E.  currently has 50 members. That's $9.60 a year per member.

3) Some members are actually couples or households, at least in terms of being on the rolls or having a website login. This raises some questions:

A- Should each person who attends O.N.E. meetings and participates in voting be required to pay membership dues, even if they registered as a couple or family and only have one website login?

B- Should children of families be given their own personal login? If so should there be a minimum age to participate?

C- In general do families or couples require more O.N.E. resources or provide more value to O.N.E. than individuals?

I think we should keep this as simple as possible and that translates to each voting member should pay dues. Couples or families should be considered as one voting block. If the individuals of that voting block wish to assert their vote independently they should pay separate dues and not be included in a couple or family voting block.

So I propose we set our dues to $10 per voting unit per year, regardless of how many website logins or people are included in the voting unit.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:50:42 PM by OneMan »
You'll become a better person if you surround yourself with the quality of people that model the virtues you seek for yourself. But first take a deep look inside yourself and fix the only sure thing you have control over - you.

Offline Margie Hill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 08:14:49 PM »
Dues are a necessary evil of any independent organization to cover any expenses incurred.  Its a fair way to involve every one who is part of the organization.  We can consider family fees, individual fees or couple fees.  All are fair and non discriminatory.  We can use one or all three.  If you  are attending our monthly meetings there are many areas in which you can participate.  Most of the sub committies not only impart knowledge they many times provide experience and descussion groups.  Our organization is very diversified and open to all who wish to participate to the fullest extent of available topics.  Yes I am in favor of dues, and $15. sounds reasonable. I am also in favor of family membership dues.

Offline Magda Preston

• View Profile
Membership and Dues
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 11:29:13 AM »
As a follow-up to the discussion that began at our June meeting (held on 5/30/14):

I agree with some folks I've talked to who suggested that a person should be required to attend 2 meetings before becoming a member.  The first meeting is generally an information gathering (look/see) event so the person can decide whether he/she wants to join. At completion of the second meeting, a person would probably have a good idea of  what our meetings are like.

Question: What will membership offer besides being able to post on this site, vote, and be the recipient of a work day?

Dues:  I suggest that $15 a year per person would cover the known costs that we now have - the donation to the church for the meeting space and the cost of the website.
Question:  Do we want to have just a set amount per person or a special price for couples?
Some think that giving a break to couples is discriminatory toward single members.  ??????
What are your thought?

Let's have lots of discussion before the meeting. Thanks, Magda Preston

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 11:31:16 AM by Magda Preston »