Author Topic: Trip to Oregon Co. Food / Artisans Coop  (Read 3065 times)

Sabrina Wilsom

Re: Trip to Oregon Co. Food / Artisans Coop
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 07:14:07 PM »
It looked like the Methodist church in Theodosia that we met in last month had a certified kitchen - maybe whomever in ONE is affiliated with them can ask about rental/use of the kitchen facilities? :)

Offline Desiree Fleck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 07:13:39 PM »
I am interested in joining the co-op and soup kitchen committee. I'm brand new to the area but plan to be here long term and the co-op idea is dear to me. I feel it's very important to have access to a certified kitchen within the co-op so people have access to a space to create their value added goods. Hopefully we can find such a space.

Offline Jon Kruger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 07:13:08 PM »
We have a coop market exchange which includes a food and artisan coop with a soup kitchen committee formed

Current members of the committee are:
Jon Kruger, Jule Kruger, Ute Timme, Chuck Blanchard and Jan Chester

All are welcome to join the committee
We have not met as a committee

In the near future I would love to meet.
In the past, other O.N.E. committees have met at the Village Cafe in Isabella.

If we want the Coop Market Exchange Committee could meet there

A drawback is Village Cafe closes at 3:30 PM However, they have WiFi if we wanted to use the internet.

Also, in Theodosia there is the Treasure Gallery. The Hungry Bear Soup and Sandwich Shop is located within. They are open until at least 5 pm. However, they do not have internet available.

I am willing to set up a meeting. Please post if you are interested in joining the committee and comments on meeting time and place

Offline Jessi Dreckman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 07:12:28 PM »
This is just such a great idea, I can't help but get excited about it! What do you guys think about sister co-op sites in both Theodosia and Gainesville? We've scoped out the Gainesville downtown area pretty well, and there are a couple of open storefronts on the square. One is $250 per month rent, and another smaller space is $150 per month. Neither have kitchens, and the less expensive one doesn't have a bathroom. The owner says you'd just have to use the bathroom in the courthouse across the street. Do you guys have a building in mind in Theodosia? If so, what kind of rent are you looking at? I'm curious how much Rachel is paying and is able to sustain with their co-op. We've discussed trying to locate a church or old restaurant nearby that has a certified kitchen where we could cook the soup/bread and do a delivery business as a start up to get funds, then eventually serve out of soup warmers/bread warmers if we were able to extend into a co-op storefront. Very early stages though, but it's an idea that a lot of people are excited about. :)

Offline Desiree Fleck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 07:11:50 PM »
I've started keeping a running list of people who are interested in selling and bartering at the co-op. If you have something you'd like to share with the community through a co-op, please let me know and I will add you to the spreadsheet. Also, has anyone contacted the school that was mentioned about getting setup the way that Rachel did it in Alton? I volunteer to help with this in any way I can.

Offline Desiree Fleck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 07:10:03 PM »
We should get a directory together of who has what that they would like to offer at the future co-op. I would really like to see this happen soon!

Offline Jon Kruger

• View Profile
Trip to Oregon Co. Food / Artisans Coop
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 07:07:44 PM »
Hi All, Jon and Chuck here reporting on the trip to Alton. Four of went over to Alton, Judy and Jule and us drove over last Thursday. We had a wonderful meal at the Coop of a white veggie soup with a beautiful pureed beet and green swirled topping with just out of the oven whole wheat bread. IIt was a pay what you can meal. The lunch is offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Given a tour by Rachael, the founder of the coop, of the facilities. They have a storefront on the square in Alton. The front of the store offers a diverse variety of items mainly from the coop members. Artwork, crafts, food items, garden seed and much more. The coop does a 70/30 split on the sales. 30% going to the coop. The back of the store is where there certified kitchen is located. There is a side room where meals are served. We spent a fair bit of time chatting with Rachael and her husband Mike. She explained how they operate. There is a monthly membership fee of $10, which they are quite flexible on how members pay the dues. They have appx. 75 members with additional community participation. All of the income the coop makes is used to pay there overhead and expenses and whatever is left the members vote on how to give it back to the community. We very much got that they are about creating community. Jon invited Rachael to speak at our upcoming congress, so you all will have a chance to meet her and talk with her. Also, if there is interest we could make another trip over there. Rachael and Mike shared a lot of info with us, so if you want to know more about the trip let us know. Chuck and Jon