Author Topic: Forum server testing this weekend  (Read 7375 times)

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
Re: Forum server testing this weekend
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2016, 12:45:54 PM »
Magda sent me email yesterday around 3:30 that she wasn't able to access the forum. She also said she had tried several times during the day with the same results.

I noticed that my Macintosh was also not able to access the forum, but 2 other systems running off the same Internet connection were able to access it without any problems.

What this tells me is there may have been a change to the DNS system, a type of phonebook used to translate names like "ozarkneighborlyexchange.com" into an internet address like 84.200.17.129.

If you have trouble bookmark this link and see if you can access the site, and if you can your DNS provider is not up to date.

http://www.ozarksneighborlyexchange.com/     =    http://84.200.17.129/
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 04:48:26 PM by Thom »
You'll become a better person if you surround yourself with the quality of people that model the virtues you seek for yourself. But first take a deep look inside yourself and fix the only sure thing you have control over - you.

Offline Tracy Meal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 06:03:45 PM »
Your efforts are much appreciated.

Tracy
Tracy

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 01:54:59 PM »
Ya fix one thing then another breaks! Sometimes it feels like I never catch a break  :-[

Although I have resolved the issue of email notification for everyone except those who use AOL, there is still another technical issue I am trying to get to the bottom of.

I'm posting this to let everyone know that I have a temporary "patch" in place as a stopgap measure to work around this problem. If you should ever experience an error, such as "Bad Gateway" "Server timed out" give it another try after 2 minutes. I have a "watchdog" process that monitors the problem every 2 minutes and if a failure is detected it resets the failed program.

I will eventually get to the bottom of this issue but for now this monitor should minimize downtime until I can.
You'll become a better person if you surround yourself with the quality of people that model the virtues you seek for yourself. But first take a deep look inside yourself and fix the only sure thing you have control over - you.

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 12:43:21 AM »
OK, I have fixed the email notification problem by "hacking" the forum code.

Now ALL registered members in the forum will receive an email when a new post is made anywhere on the forum. Topic level notification options are irrelevant now. If you elect to use them it may not provide the results you expect.

Every member is now set to be notified. The only way to opt out of notifications for those who do not wish to get them is to login, click "profile" in the main menu, then once in the profile to click the "notifications" link on the left vertical menu, under the blue "Modify Profile" heading. On this page you will find all notification options.

To shut off ALL notifications select "Nothing at all" from the drop down options to the right of this text: "For topics and boards I've requested notification on, notify me of:" then click the light blue "Save settings" button.

To shut off notifications for specific boards, scroll down under the blue "Current Board Notifications" and click the checkbox on the right side of any boards you do NOT want to receive notifications for then scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page (don't click the "Unnotify button above the "Current Board Notifications") and click the light blue "Unnotify" button.

To turn on board notifications you may have turned off go to that board and click the "Notify" button at the top of the page. The button will say "Unnotify" if you are currently set to receive notifications on posts made to topics under that board. You can Unnotify for a board in 2 places: 1) your profile and 2) at the top of the board. However you can only enable notifications at the top of each board if they are ever turned off.

If any of you fail to receive notification emails your email service may not be keeping their blacklists up to date. Do be aware however that you will not be notified for your own posts, only those others make.

A notification of this post should go out to all members. If you didn't get the notification please check you "Junk" or "Spam" folders as it may be there. If so be sure to update your email to indicate the message is not spam but is OK to receive.

As always, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Thom

Offline Tracy Meal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 07:05:18 PM »
10/4 :P
Tracy

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 06:51:25 PM »
Yeah, I know. Working on it as we speak. I have all outgoing email cut off at the moment.

Offline Tracy Meal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 06:43:48 PM »
I have not received any notifications regarding recent posts.
Tracy

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 12:09:58 PM »
I'm getting mighty familiar with this body of code (programming). Trouble is the next time I need to use what I've learned I'll have forgotten it, b/c I'm not in it often enough.

Offline Magda Preston

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 03:18:43 PM »
Thanks for 'hangin' in there with this Forum challenge. Yes, I am receiving notifications. 

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 02:19:23 PM »
More testing. I'll get to the bottom of this mystery sooner or later...

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 11:48:15 PM »
Testing email notifications... again.

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 02:27:37 PM »
Testing email notifications...

Offline Tracy Meal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 04:10:12 PM »
I also get them.
Tracy

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 11:32:53 AM »
Great! I just got one also. We'll see how it goes and whether the changes I made will improve notification delivery.

Thx for the feedback!!

Offline Magda Preston

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 11:02:03 AM »
Yes, I do.

anything