Author Topic: Work Party Request  (Read 4991 times)

Offline lisarollens

• View Profile
Re: Work Party Request
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 08:10:06 PM »
Thom,

I will speak for myself but bet it's for everyone else too.  I/We were glad to have an opportunity to help!  Even my friend Dan, who came, had a very positive, if tiring, experience.  I'll know for sure if he answers the phone the next time I call him!!!

Stay warm, Lisa

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 12:16:48 PM »
Did anyone by any chance pick up my chain?  It was in my truck and I didn't even think about it because we had no use for it and I had it there to get the splitter out when I got home.  That's when I noticed it wasn't there.  If anyone knows where it is...please let me know.  thanks, Lisa

Check with Chuck, he was asking about it but you weren't around at the time. Not sure if he took it with him or not.

BTW - HUGE thank you Lisa and EVERYONE who chipped in to help me out yesterday. I have as much wood as I had last year so believe it will be enough to get me through the winter.

O.N.E. IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Warmest" thanks to all :)
You'll become a better person if you surround yourself with the quality of people that model the virtues you seek for yourself. But first take a deep look inside yourself and fix the only sure thing you have control over - you.

Offline lisarollens

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 06:57:18 PM »
Did anyone by any chance pick up my chain?  It was in my truck and I didn't even think about it because we had no use for it and I had it there to get the splitter out when I got home.  That's when I noticed it wasn't there.  If anyone knows where it is...please let me know.  thanks, Lisa

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 06:33:06 PM »
Thanks Lisa! Yes I will I have 5 gallons of gas (should be enough) for the spliters and chainsaws, but you'll need to bring any oil you might need.

Here are directions from the Methodist church where we have our meetings:

Go east on 160 a bit over 3 miles toward Gainesville across the bridge, just past HH, to the Isabella cemetery on the left (north side of 160). The Isabella post office, laundromat and Amigos mexican restaurant are on the right.

My house is 1.8 miles south of 160 off lake road HH-8 (a.k.a. CR 620), a left hand turn on a right hand curve just past a long straight stretch of HH. Look for the Thunder Bay Resort sign and turn left there on HH-8 (green sign on right side of HH), go approx. 1000 feet and turn right at first black mailbox on the right.
You'll become a better person if you surround yourself with the quality of people that model the virtues you seek for yourself. But first take a deep look inside yourself and fix the only sure thing you have control over - you.

Offline lisarollens

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 02:06:23 PM »
Glad nobody got hurt, Thom!!  How about directions???  Also, will you supply gas?  Yes, I can bring the splitter if I can get it in the truck!  Might not make it quite by 9 AM tho.

Lisa

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 12:48:46 PM »
Thanks Lisa for those concerns. Fortunately Dusty knows what he's doing and he and Chuck safely got the tree down by using a cable tied to Chuck's truck, and nobody was anywhere near the tree when it came down (Chuck jerked the cable after Dusty notched the trunk, and with a couple of jerks & cracks it came down right where he wanted it to).

So this is a call for a workparty this Thursday, October 22 to cut the tree up, split it and stack the firewood at my house.

I believe Lisa volunteered to bring her wood spliter, Chuck will bring O.N.E.'s, and he also talked with Jim Wills to bring his. The more help / tools we have the faster it will get done. We also need warm bodies to load and unload the trucks and / or trailers and stack the wood at my house. We'll need chainsaws, bodies and transport vehicles. Bill Barnes said he will help by bringing his trailer to transport the wood.

Not sure what the best time would be for everyone that wants to help, but I'll throw out 9AM to start and if you want to change the time just post here and we'll see if that suits everyone better. I will also activate the phone tree tomorrow night around 6PM to get the word out, since so few seem to be coming to the forum very often.

I will supply the coffee & donuts - pastries and place to warm up / hang out to take a break.

I think if we can get 3 spliters and 6 - 12 people to help we could have this done by early afternoon.

Thanks!

Offline lisarollens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 01:32:28 PM »
Thom,  with those dead trees you cut at the bottom with plenty of vibrations and the tree starts to fall and the top breaks off and falls straight down on the guy with the chainsaw.  Or even a big limb can do that.  Be thankful you have been lucky in the past!  Handling a chainsaw and cutting trees have an inherent danger associated with them, so doing all one can to be save is strongly encouraged.  Using a chainsaw is like riding a motorcycle...not IF but WHEN you are going to get hurt.  My hubby was a forester and I worked with a logger and put in lots of hours with a chainsaw.  Definitely fun and empowering but I sure heard all the stories too, so I don't take chances.

I did wing the meeting plan and am ready!

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 10:07:08 PM »
You may be right Lisa, but I've never heard that before. There's always a certain element of danger in anything in life.

I've cut a few dead trees before, and never noticed anything unusual. Perhaps I was just lucky.

As for the minutes, gosh I wasn't there, and nobody has mentioned a word about them to me. You may just have to wing it  :(

Offline lisarollens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 08:12:38 PM »
Thom,  I am concerned about the danger of cutting dead trees....AKA widow makers.  I NEVER do it or have it done on my property.  So what would be the liability if someone got hurt?  Seriously hurt?  My ex husband can testify as to what a human looks like when a tree falls on him, and this was a live tree.  Dead  trees can't be predicted. 

Just wonderin'

Lisa

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
Work Party Request
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 11:00:19 AM »
I would like to have a work party to fell a large tree or two for firewood, and use the  O.N.E. log splitter and any available trucks to haul it and stack it at my place for heat this winter.

There are 2 very large trees accross from the Isabella post office on Walt Heningsen's property, one which is dead the other in very bad shape and probably should also be removed. He wants the dead tree removed and has given me permission to take it down and has graciously also given me the wood. I am waiting to hear back from Walt on whether he wants to cut the second tree.

I propose this be done on the 17th or the 24th of October.

We will need the O.N.E. log splitter, pickup trucks to haul the wood, chainsaws of all sizes, including one with a long bar as these trees have 2 foot trunks and it will take some skill + good saws to get them on the ground.

We will also need plenty of people to cut and load the wood as well as unload it, split it and stack it at my house.

I would like to make this a potluck. It will be hard work and we'll all need a food break!

If you have any questions give me a call at (417) 712-4124