Author Topic: Migration from Bigtent to New Website  (Read 3715 times)

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
Re: Migration from Bigtent to New Website
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 12:21:32 AM »
I also wanted to let everyone know about the content migrated over from Bigtent.

For the approximately 100 posts I moved over I did preserve the order of each member's posting so as to keep the flow of the discussion intact.. However, I did NOT preserve the original date and time of the post made on Bigtent as that would have taken much much longer to do. So most of the dates will reflect when I actually posted them here in the new forum, not the time they originally occurred.
You'll become a better person if you surround yourself with the quality of people that model the virtues you seek for yourself. But first take a deep look inside yourself and fix the only sure thing you have control over - you.

Offline patrick quinn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 07:33:50 PM »
This sounds really good, in my brief research, I say move forward. Let me know when it is time to ante up. And thank you for all you do!

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 07:32:27 PM »
Thank you so much Carlos & Desiree for your assistance on this project. I'm really looking forward to what someone with an artistic bent will come up with.

Thanks for all you do and becoming part of O.N.E !!!

Within the last couple of hours Bigtent rolled out some new features, and in the process has caused forum posts such as this one to be altered, and renders my original post here disorganized and difficult to read.

One more reason to move our site elsewhere.

After hours of research and investigation and lacking any further discussion or input here, I have chosen Siteground as the new web hosting service to move forward with.

Siteground recently became a member of the i2coalition whose primary mission is to keep the internet free of SOPA & PIPA legislation that imposes censorship and other draconian measures to reduce our freedom on the net. But membership in the i2coalition is not a panacea and like all organizations could be co opted for other agendas.

In contrast to Hostmonster which is owned by the Endurance International Group, a huge conglomerate that has been aggressively buying up hosting companies for the last several years, Siteground has remained independent and continues to be ranked highly in the industry.

They offer several shared hosting plans, and they are offering 50% off of a great plan that will provide top notch performance and meet all of the criteria I described above. The "GoGeek" hosting plan will meet all our needs well into the future.

The cost is $14.95 / month for the first year, which beats the $19 / month quoted by Hostmonster for less features. The renewal rate is slightly higher than Hostmonster's at $27 / month vs. Hostmonsters $25 renewal. The renewal discount increases by 10% for each additional year renewed, so a 3 yr renewal would be $21 a month.

I've used Siteground shared hosting in the past and was very pleased with it. As discussed in the last meeting Patrick is footing the bill for the first year. Siteground offered me a 1 month trial and ability to lock in the promo price if we wanted to go for the full year.

The plan is to start data / account migration right away, and I hope to be done before the next ONE meeting on the 30th.
You'll become a better person if you surround yourself with the quality of people that model the virtues you seek for yourself. But first take a deep look inside yourself and fix the only sure thing you have control over - you.

Offline Desiree Fleck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 07:28:23 PM »
I have started putting together a facebook page for the ONE group and will be working on getting a blog started as well. Thom, Carlos, and I will be working on putting the new website together. If you are at all interested in helping with blogging or any other website related task LET US KNOW! We'd love your help. :)

Offline Desiree Fleck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 07:22:17 PM »
This is very thorough and a lot of it I don't understand but I am grateful that you took the time to write this out! I am happy with the idea of getting a new host and would definitely contribute to it. My thoughts on the website remain - a forum is great because it gives everyone an equal say in the workings of this group. I believe that a landing page is vital for those that are not already part of the group, a page that describes our vision, efforts, etc. We could have an event page with the work parties, a blog that describes things further, etc etc... It will all evolve and I know it requires a large effort on the parts of us, the members. I volunteer to spearhead the blog. I have experience using wordpress and blogger. Anything simple that has the template and stuff built in, I can work with. Here is what Ozark County has going on.. http://ozarkcountyhomegrownfoodproject.wordpress.com/

Offline patrick quinn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 07:20:41 PM »
Thank you Thom.
More latter...

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
Migration from Bigtent to New Website
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 07:18:53 PM »
I am starting this topic fresh to address questions raised at May's monthly meeting, to focus the discussion and provide a clear topic heading.

For background info see the original discussion thread here: http://www.bigtent.com/group/forum/message/84858397?ff=1

• Hosting account
    Marsha Brown volunteered to research hosting account alternatives. I am open to all suggestions, but please recognize the requirements and preferences I have for a hosting service have come from over two decades of experience. So while I wouldn't discourage anyone's input and am grateful to receive it, please be aware it will be evaluated through the filter of my professional expertise. And rest assured I will explain my rationale for any recommendations I make, and will NOT make any decisions before getting approval from the group. With that said here are a couple of items I require in a hosting account that are rather important:
    • cpanel This is the management software for the account, and is pretty much an industry standard. The primary alternative is plesk but there are quite a few others. I have more experience with cpanel than plesk so that is my preference. If I were managing a high volume web server I would probably not go with either plesk or cpanel.
    • Linux Operating System The primary alternative is Microsoft, but Linux hosts are far superior and efficient than Microsoft hosts. and they implement a much better security model.
    • Live chat Most of the time when a problem arises that I cannot find a solution for through resources like google, youtube or technical forums, I use the hosting provider's real time chat to resolve. I get fast answers 24x7 and I don't need to be tethered to a phone or wait in a que where I can't do other things. I've been very impressed with Hostmonster's live chat support, which sets them apart from many other hosting companies.
    • SSH and SFTP access to the hosting account (secure shell). This not only provides a command line interface which is much faster than using a web or GUI interface, but it also allows for transfers using sftp and scp (secure ftp and secure copy). I use these secure interfaces quite often and it speeds maintenance, reduces bandwidth requirements and is less intrusive to users that may be online.
    • phpmyadmin This is a tool used for database administration. Almost all modern websites are integrated with a relational database that serve as the "backend" to deliver content to the web server. Good database management tools are essential to manage and administer all but a small minority of websites.
    • paypal payment method This provides a number of benefits, and is second only to bitcoin as a payment method. Although hosting companies are starting to appear that accept bitcoin they are still few in number.
    • Been in business for at least 7 years, 10 preferred Hosting companies are highly competitive and many of them promise the moon and go out of business faster than you can say rumplestillskin. A company with a proven track record is a very important consideration.
  • CMS (www content management system) There are many choices for CMS software, and the best one for the job depends on a a number of variables which are to detailed and technical to review here. I have constructed many full featured websites using the Joomla open source CMS and find it's architecture to be extremely modular and flexible. However it may be overkill to use it for ONE.
  • Forum Software I have already evaluated several forum software packages and believe Simple Machines Forum meets our needs for a standalone forum. It is superior to the forum components for the Joomla CMS such as Kunena for example and has features such as an event calendar and classifieds which would require additional components under a CMS to support. You can see an example of the SMF forum I propose for ONE here: http://www.ozarkholler.com/ONE

That covers the majority of my hosting concerns. If anyone has questions or input on any of this please post your comments below.

I have thus far not discussed the details about the different tiers of service or their related costs. It gets complicated, as the cost is impacted by some of the items described above. Free or low cost hosting often must be supported by advertisements or suffer from overloaded servers that result in slow performance or lack of support. That maze of choices is a good reason ONE is lucky to have my experience to draw upon.

One approach is to use the shared hosting account I already have on Hostmonster. A friend of mine and I run several websites under this account. It is where I setup the new ONE SMF forum I linked above. Launching ONE's new website + forum under the ozarkholler.com account would be the least expensive option that meets the requirements I described above. It is a shared hosting account and not a PRO level account so there are limitations. The volume of traffic on this account is quite low however and thus would provide good performance. This option would cost $90 a year, which includes the domain name registration fee. That comes out to $7.50 a month.

A new, separate shared hosting account (not under ozarkholler.com but a separate Hostmonster shared account) at this same level would cost $83.40 with an annual renewal cost of $119. A PRO shared account would jump to $239 a year but come with several advantages not available under the two shared hosting options above. The cost to renew the pro level hosting for subsequent years is $24.99 per month or $299 a year. A dedicated (non shared) hosting plan would cost way too much and isn't necessary for ONE so I didn't bother to get quotes for that top tier of service.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 10:44:02 PM by OneMan »