Author Topic: Phone Tree Information  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
Re: Phone Tree Information
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 12:01:26 AM »
Although Magda asked me to publish the list which I did to help her out, anyone in O.N.E. could update the list and post the changes here on the forum.

However, after discussing this with Magda today, we instead decided a single maintainer would be best, and that the most up to date list should be a locked "sticky" topic that always appears in orange at the top of the list of topics under this board. See her new sticky topic for the most recent list and other info about the phone tree.

Should one day it be decided multiple list maintainers are preferred, this post may provide an alternative method for updating the list. Whoever updates the list could simply reply to this discussion thread right here, in this very topic, and attach the changes to their post. The most recent post with attachments (look for the paper clip symbol in the list of topics) would be the latest one. It's best to use the Word 97 - 2003 format, not the more recent docx format as it is less compatible for older systems. The old format can be used by both new and old systems.

It's important however that the list is posted as attachments so robots and other Internet scavengers can't access the list with member's names, phone, email info. That would not be good. Would YOU want your contact info to be added to 50,000 email lists which are created and sold every day online? I know I don't. If you make a mistake there's always the Modify and Remove buttons to delete or correct your mistake.

Attachments are not difficult or magical. It's like I do the minutes, by just adding the most recent version to the top like a blog entry. When you click the blue Reply button to add your message, directly below the white text input box where you type your message is a clickable link: Attachments and other options.  If you click that you'll see 6 checkboxes and below that is a Browse button to add an attachment. When you click that Browse button a window will open that allows you to select a file on your computer to be added as an attachment to your message. You can add up to 4 attachments to a message by clicking the (more attachments) link below the Browse button.

Another consideration for everyone to keep in mind is that the phone tree list is separate from the forum membership list I generated for you from the database. And wouldn't it be great if each member kept their profile information on the forum up to date, then we would have ONE common place for all member info, and the phone tree would be self maintained.

I know, I know, it's a fantasy to think each member would be responsible for keeping their own info up to date. People just want it to be easy like if someone else would take on the burden of keeping up with changes so they don't have to. Lucky for everyone, Magda has offered to do this. You should thank her the next time you see her!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 06:51:36 PM by Thom »
You'll become a better person if you surround yourself with the quality of people that model the virtues you seek for yourself. But first take a deep look inside yourself and fix the only sure thing you have control over - you.

Offline Magda Preston

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 10:10:22 AM »
Patrick and I were talking about the Phone Tree and that it will need updates every time  a new member is added which is easy.  The question is, where will the Phone Tree be located for easy access so members can update there printed out list or print a new one for themselves?

Offline Magda Preston

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 04:42:34 PM »
We agreed that it would be best if we all carried a copy of the Phone Tree list and instructions when we are away from home.  Therefore, everyone should have their list with them when they come to the monthly meeting.  New member information could be added by each individual on their own list right there at the meeting and by doing so, everyone present would have an updated list immediately. 

I would then add the new members to the master list after the meeting and post it on the Forum for those who missed the meeting or want to download and print out a fresh copy for their refrig.

Does that sound doable?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:35:17 AM by Magda Preston »

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 11:45:18 PM »
As for bringing copies to the meeting, any new names could be added to one of the copies we could pass around the room.

But yes, any copies we bring would not include new additions made the night of the meeting, they would have to be added manually if members wanted last minute accuracy. It might be good to bring a few copies, but too many might be wasteful if members preferred to wait for an updated list at the next meeting or to get one online.
You'll become a better person if you surround yourself with the quality of people that model the virtues you seek for yourself. But first take a deep look inside yourself and fix the only sure thing you have control over - you.

Offline Matt Hitt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 10:26:50 PM »
Magda ...

Got your message but I have been traveling for most the day    the extra number I provided was a Home phonenumber   

Offline George Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 04:36:13 PM »
If you do not have Microsoft Office, this can also be opened with Apache Open Office (free download).  George
george

Offline Magda Preston

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 11:24:58 AM »
Thanks, Thom, for getting the Phone Tree info. posted  I hope that I have presented everything that people asked for at the last meeting in the instructions for how to use it.  If I missed something, please let me know and I'll re-work it. This is our phone tree and should represent the wishes of the members.  Also, if someone's name and # need to be added, please let me know.

So, just make two copies of the list and the instructions: one set for home and one to carry when you are away from home.  This list will change each time a new person joins our group. I am willing to update the list and put it on the Forum if members are willing to print off their own copies. We could use O.N.E. funds to print and bring copies to each meeting however, they would be out of date if there are new people at that meeting.  Any feedback or ideas on this?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:33:39 AM by Magda Preston »

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
Phone Tree Information
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 11:58:44 PM »
Magda asked me to post this on the forum for the group. To protect members privacy from Internet robots that scrub websites looking for names and numbers to sell to mailing list companies, the list and instructions are provided as attachments.

I split this topic so Magda's post is now a new "sticky" post that appears in orange as the first topic of this board. Magda will update the attachments as necessary as additions or corrections to the Phone Tree are made. Post your replies here in this board under another topic, or create a new topic, but note that the most up to date phone tree will be attached to Magda's orange sticky topic.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 06:50:42 PM by Thom »