Author Topic: Forum hosting  (Read 4195 times)

Offline Chuck Blanchard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Forum hosting
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 08:00:37 AM »
Desiree thank you for bringing this up. Believe I have been the most vocal on the requirements for the forum, and this definitely seems the time to have this discussion.

Probably the first order of business is to get clear on what the group would like to do with the website. Continue with it or not. I would like to continue if we can get group participation. The current participation level doesn't justify spending money to continue. So, what is it going to take to get the majority of our group to participate?

I too hope more folks in our group participate in this discussion prior to the next meeting.

Thom, thanks for your input and for all you have done and are doing for the O.N.E. group.

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 01:43:39 AM »
Well Desiree, how about you deal with all the spam that will result from all the Internet trolls then?

You clearly have no idea what a mess that would cause. The forum is kept clean because it is NOT open to just anyone.

Secret society? Where do you get that? 95% off all info on the forum is publicly available right now without a login. It's hardly secret.

However, consider this alternative. We could open it up to anyone that expresses an interest who lives "nearby" and will provide some evidence of that. I mean more than just somebody sending in an email address. If an existing member knows someone that wants to have access to post on the forum no problem, just vouch for knowing them & send me their email and preferred username & I will add them. A friend of a friend of a friend that lived here 7 years ago who nobody knows would not be good. People that don't live around here (i.e. in the Ozarks) have no need to post, but they can keep abreast of our activities by reading our content. Unless someone has some type of connection to our group by at least knowing a O.N.E. member they're just strangers that might as well live in France. And why would we want someone from France to have input to our local group? I see little value in it and it makes our group less of a local community, less neighborly.

The main point of the restriction is to keep spam and random junk off the forum, not to keep people we know or have a genuine interest out. You can't do that with wide open registration.

I think it's OK to allow attendees of the Congress ** that want it** login access to the forum. We did that last year but most never bothered to use the login or if they did it was once or twice then they never came back. No big deal, they came to the congress they supported us and "proved" they were real people that live around here so I say add them, as long as they provide an email address and indicate they want access. I'm NOT in favor of adding the names of EVERY attendee, they need to at least express an interest then it's fine.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 01:49:05 AM by Thom »
You'll become a better person if you surround yourself with the quality of people that model the virtues you seek for yourself. But first take a deep look inside yourself and fix the only sure thing you have control over - you.

Offline Magda Preston

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 09:47:56 PM »
You bring up some good points, Desi.  I hope that more people will chime in with their ideas and opinions.  Cheers...

Offline Desiree Fleck

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 08:05:35 AM »
I've said it before and I will say it again... open the forum up to all locals interested, even those who do not make it to meetings!! We are not an elite group of people like some secret society. I totally disagree that a person must come to two meetings to join us. We have mentioned it before at meetings, but here we are again visiting this sad state of affairs. We have htis problem that the forum isn't being used to it's full potential. Magda has said that many folks within our group probably don't use the internet and I totally agree with that. Those folks regularly attend meetings, work parties, and answer their phones. We have a good connection even without their use of the forum. Then we have another group of folks who are unable to make it to meetings because they can't afford gas or they have too much else going on. These people are valuable allies and friends and they do live in the Ozarks area. I have been getting emails and messages from several of these folks and they want access to the forum. They want to become more involved, but without having to drive to the meetings. I say invite them onto the forum and watch us grow!! The forum should give us greater reach, not be reserved for those people who are already in the loop (meeting attendees). I tried to bring this up at the last meeting but for some reason our facilitator rushed me and didn't allow a space for comments. Hopefully we can discuss it here and make some changes. Especially with the ONE congress coming up, we are going to see many new faces who would love to be involved but will not be coming to meetings regularly, if at all. Let them communicate, let them join in, let us be ONE!!

Offline Matt Hitt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 11:14:25 AM »
The point of our O.N.E. group is to one day grow the size that this forum will most likely be needed... I will be very surprised if we do not address this again in the future if we let it die.  It's also good to have a way of communication that does not rely on the internet at all, even emails.  This group will truely be grassroots one day.   For now, we should use the tools we can, for everyone... Not the majority... We should include everyone

Is there anyway to auto generate emails sent to certain email addresses that would basically send a copy of a message or thread in this forum? 

If we do not use a forum type of website or another one  that at least allows us to message I think it would be a mistake that we would revisit within the year...  We are growing and I would like to see us include all instead of treat this like a democracy... We can solve this

Offline Magda Preston

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 11:33:53 AM »
In response to Thom, the Forum is a valuable tool but apparently not for this group of folks.  I see it as a difference of how people prioritize their time rather than apathy. That's just my opinion of course.  Another opinion I hold is that you and Patrick are both appreciated deeply for the resources of money and time that you guys have invested in this experiment. My thanks for all that you do and have done.

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 11:04:11 PM »
OK folks, message received. If the core group doesn't see the value in O.N.E.'s custom online presence then I say let it die. An interesting experiment that I'll not soon forget.

With the sentiment expressed here in this thread as well as the membership at large through their lack of feedback (aside from the deafening silence), I don't see the point of even bringing it up in the next meeting, aside from just saying it's going away in May.

I hate apathy, and that's all I can label this with. Had I been given any input whatsoever things might be different. It's obviously not important to people so I see no reason to continue throwing money at it, no matter how little.
You'll become a better person if you surround yourself with the quality of people that model the virtues you seek for yourself. But first take a deep look inside yourself and fix the only sure thing you have control over - you.

Offline Magda Preston

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 11:41:43 PM »
Regarding the light usage of the Forum - perhaps the absence of activity reflects that most of the O.N.E. members don't use the web for much besides email.  I'm one of those folks.  Days can go by before I check my email, so the idea of also checking on the content of the Forum is a web task that simply gets lost.

However, if I were to receive an email from O.N.E., i would open it promptly unless the subject line indicated a topic that I wasn't interested in. In that case, I would simply delete it along with the multitude of other emails that need to be sifted through.  Very assessable, easy, and efficient. If I wanted to join in on a discussion, I would simply use "reply all" for my message.

Now, I may be the only one who has this reluctant relationship with the web, or I may represent the majority of our members.  If that is the case, using email rather than the Forum would actually accomplish greater communication than we have had in the past year and at a great price.  Therefore, I suggest that we use email for our group and Facebook for outreach to the general public.

As someone in one of our discussions on this subject said," A fabulous tool (the Forum) if not used, is the same as having no tool as at all." 

Offline Chuck Blanchard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 12:50:54 PM »
Magda, Patrick and I had a conversation earlier on this subject, the forum and alternatives. What we discussed was going to email for communicating within the group and using the facebook page for posting info we wish to share. We also discussed the phone tree and possible usages. All open for discussion  at the meeting, as well as this forum.

Offline Desiree Fleck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 09:47:59 AM »
I agree with Chuck. I'm not sure if bigtent is the way to go, but the current website and forum receives a minimal amount of traffic so it seems like we're spending a lot of money on something that could be done in another way.

I was really excited about the website with the forum on it, and we were happy to help with it initially, but Carlos and I have not updated anything on the site in ages. To be honest, not sure if we will make the time soon either. We have so much to do on the farm and we already have four other websites that we maintain for our community and businesses. These are priorities and already don't get updated enough, so I don't think we will be able to make more time for the ONE website. If someone else were interested in maintaining and updating the site regularly, it would be getting much more traffic. But no one else has volunteered to help with the project.

Those are my thoughts.

Offline Chuck Blanchard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:18:39 PM »
Appreciate the research on various options Patrick. Looking at participation on this forum my thought is to go back to big tent unless there is a majority of the group that wishes to spend the money.  Group participation is what this is about, and we had wider participation with big tent. When you offered to pay the cost for the first year, and Thom generously provided a huge amount of support, that was great. We have had plenty of time to kick the tires and test drive this, and have had very modest participation. It may be that is all we are going to get.

Chuck

Offline patrick quinn

• View Profile
Forum hosting
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 03:23:20 PM »
I [/size]received this e-mail from Thom and would like to take advantage of this, please read and express so we can.
[/size]
[/size]"I inquired about downgrading our web hosting plan at Siteground.
[/size]They are currently offering a $3.95 per month option if we buy 3 years ($142.20). That comes out to slightly less than $48 a year. There is a $50 charge to literally downgrade, since it is on different servers and requires some work on their part to move all of the "plumbing" from existing service tier to the servers used for the lesser performing server.
[/size]However, if we simply started a new hosting account on the lower tier server they would migrate everything from our existing account over for free, regardless of where the migration is from (an internal account or external hosting company).
[/size]They don't do prorated refunds on unused portions of account service, so for March/April/May1-16 we'd have two hosting accounts. The cost of this double coverage amounts to only $15 (for the new hosting account), so not a big deal IMO. Once the migration onto the other server is complete the old server would only be accessible via an IP address like http://153.47.5.195/~ozarksne/. Not very useful, but technically it would be functional and all existing content would remain available there until our prepaid year runs out on May 16th.
[/size]Since we're nearing the end of a month the promo pricing is bound to change, so we'll just have to see what kind of pricing we can get next week.
[/size]If the cost stays the same or improves, I will make a proposal at the next meeting we buy the 3 year hosting for $142.20.
[/size]Thoughts?"

anything