Author Topic: Mission Statement  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Chuck Blanchard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Mission Statement
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 12:44:29 PM »
What you put on the facebook page:The mission of the Ozarks Neighborly Exchange (O.N.E.) group is to promote self sufficiency and self reliance through neighbors helping neighbors.I believe this is the original statement the group came up with. I like it.

Offline Desiree Fleck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 09:55:17 AM »
I agree with Thom that a mission statement should be a pretty concrete statement that describes us. A mission statement and values are the backbone of any organization. I do love fluidity in things and the ability to flow with changes, those are great qualities to have in life. Just for the purpose of having a foundation to stand on and a definition of who we are so people can understand us, these should be pretty concrete.

Dez

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 09:47:58 PM »
I am well versed in hosting service Jim, thanks for your input. The two you mentioned aren't the cheapest, nor do they provide the level of support & facilities my experience believes is the best match for O.N.E.

I laid out specific criteria in the past, some of which isn't crucial but are preferred, some are must haves etc. I've used godaddy in the past so I'm quite familiar with them.

As we near renewal time I'll revisit our choices and present the options to the group for approval. Rest assured I'm on top of it and all the requirements & considerations that are relevant.

As for the idea of a mailable / fluid mission - vision statement I guess that works to a degree, but there's also something to say for consistency and "making a name" / reputation for ourselves & what we stand for. If a company changed it's "public face" (logo, byline, slogan) often it doesn't stick in the public's mind. IMO it's better to establish a solid foundation for what O.N.E. is all about, encapsulated concisely and articulately in mission statement and stick with it, drill it into the public consciousness thru repetition and what we do in the community and not be fluid. Fluid takes the shape of whatever container it is in, meaning it has no shape (identity) of it's own. When people think of O.N.E. it should be thoughts of helping each other, cohesiveness, a community "bonded" together, teamwork, support, "I got your back jack". The concept of family but the size of community.
You'll become a better person if you surround yourself with the quality of people that model the virtues you seek for yourself. But first take a deep look inside yourself and fix the only sure thing you have control over - you.

Offline Jim Farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 10:13:54 AM »
Hi Thom,

May I suggest that a mission statement can be viewed as a living document which is revised/updated from time to time as the vision, intentions and goals of the organization evolve over time.
Perhaps it can be suggested at this month's meeting that a few people volunteer to individually write a mission statement and post them in the forum for comment and feedback. At the April meeting, a consensus may be reached on an amalgam of all of these different versions.
Going forward, any individual can suggest alterations to the statement for consideration, vote and approval.
I also agree that the lowest cost hosting service that meets our current needs makes sense. GoDaddy/ Host Gator are inexpensive.

Blessings,

Jim

Offline Chuck Blanchard

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 06:27:45 AM »
Tom I have no record of the original mission statement. Sure it is hiding somewhere in a very good hiding place in my memory. When I find it I will post that info. May be a while.

I am in agreement with you on reducing the cost of the website.

Offline Thom

• TechGuru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tech Garage
Mission Statement
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 03:05:38 PM »
When I setup Bigtent I created a public webpage that didn't require a login. On that webpage was a picture of the 160 bridge and a statement about ONE, which as I recall was our mission statement.

Unfortunately I no longer have a record of that page. I have scoured my email history and can find no trace of it there either.

I remember hammering out the mission statement and when that process was over I updated that public page with what the consensus of the group was.

Please review your records and notes and bring them to the next monthly meeting, or preferably post them here online. If we have to reinvent a new mission and or vision statement  you can bet it won't be the same. If that's the case we will have lost a little piece of O.N.E. history.

This is another good reason why having full control of our online presence is important. We did not have the ability to make backups of Bigtent, but we do with the current website.

In light of the very light use the current website is receiving, there is no reason to renew our web hosting at the same level that we currently use.  The criteria we used to select our hosting was based in part on projecting future growth and use. Rather than start small and expand as required Patrick was of the opinion we should go with a level of service that would provide for future growth and I agreed with him.

It isn't easy predicting the future, or the way people use (or not) their computers. So my recommendation for renewal will be to go with hosting that still meets the majority of the requirements I set forth before, but with server options that provide much less performance and thus will cost far less, probably in the ballpark of half last years cost.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 03:10:13 PM by Thom »
You'll become a better person if you surround yourself with the quality of people that model the virtues you seek for yourself. But first take a deep look inside yourself and fix the only sure thing you have control over - you.