Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
1
Meeting Minutes / No meeting on 5-3-2019
« Last post by Thom on May 03, 2019, 09:48:56 PM »
The weather probably kept people from attending tonight. Only myself George Craig and Pearl Schneider attended. After 20 minutes we left for home.
2
Meeting Minutes / Minutes 4-5-19
« Last post by Suzanne Meeks on May 03, 2019, 11:06:33 AM »
OZARKS NEIGHBORLY EXCHANGE   Minutes 4-5-19

     Thom called the meeting to order at 7:05.  We introduced ourselves; there were 15 present.
     Minutes:  Suzanne read the Minutes of the 3-8 meeting.  George moved to approve; Chuck seconded; approved without opposition.
     Treasurer's Report:  Balance  $1,002.42 (no change from March).
     Sorghum:  April Wilson said not to take the grant if we're not positive we're going to use it, so Jon turned it down, since sorghum-growing energy has waned.
     Chipper:  Ini's chipping was done; an acre of brush was cleared for a fruit orchard.  Lisa estimates 3 tons were chipped in 4 hours.  Lisa took the chipper to the home of one John Gluff, who had ice-storm damage; she estimates 4 tons were chipped in 6 hours over two days.   
     At Ini's, an elderly gentleman was present who had tremors and didn't seem to understand how life-threatening the chipper can be.  Lisa said he was the only one there who wasn't on constant alert.  Even despite constant close attention, Lisa was injured by something she didn't see that flew out of the chipper.  We don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but physical safety has to be paramount.  If anyone is behaving unsafely around the chipper, the only prudent thing to do is to shut it down.  It's so loud that calls for help probably could not be heard; maybe we need an emergency flag or something.
     The chipper wouldn't start after Ini's so Lisa got a new battery.  She paid $113 (list $169).  She also got a tie-down for the battery (under $10).
     Lisa handed over $60, $5/hour (Lisa used it 2 additional hours). 
     Lisa asked about chipping for someone outside the group.  We don't
have enough business for it, and Lisa put "helping the community" on the grant as one of the reasons we wanted the chipper.  Someone from our group has to be there, and safety has to be maintained.  Let's ask $15/hour donation for non-members -- still much less than renting a chipper commercially.
     Work Party:  None now, but Jon wants to reserve a slot in late June.
OLD BUSINESS
     Baker Creek:  Jon will go Sunday, though the director hasn't emailed him yet.  Jay has the banner, and will take it; he's going anyway.  Jon will have the flyers re-edited and printed to take along. 
NEW BUSINESS
     Meeting dates:  George noted complaints about having the meeting nights  change.  He said the first weekend of the month is popular for other events, and we get bumped.  Maybe we could move to the second or third Friday.  Several said  they would support a change.  George will check the church calendar and report next month. 
ANNOUNCEMENTS
     Lisa's potential A2 heifer turned out to be positive for this (a milk protein easier to digest than the more common A1).

     Next meeting:  7 p.m. May 3.  Thom will not facilitate; in the absence of a volunteer, Thom noted that in anarchy, people rise to the occasion, though not always the people you would prefer.

     Thom's talk will be summarized in the appropriate section of the Forum.


                                     Respectfully submitted,  Suzanne Meeks, Secretary

3
Telephone Messenger / May 3 meeting
« Last post by Suzanne Meeks on May 03, 2019, 11:04:10 AM »
Hello,
     This is Suzanne from Ozarks Neighborly Exchange.  I hope you haven't let time get away from you as badly as I have.  Even though I'm late announcing it, our meeting is at the regular time, 7 this evening.  We have no facilitator, so someone will need to step up.  Hope to see you there.





     









4
General Discussion / Re: Thom's Presentation at 4-5-2019 meeting
« Last post by Thom on April 09, 2019, 04:59:50 PM »
Somebody was asking about the meditation audio I mentioned, and for me to post it. You can find it on Youtube here:
5
General Discussion / Thom's Presentation at 4-5-2019 meeting
« Last post by Thom on April 06, 2019, 10:28:40 AM »
For those of you who  missed the April O.N.E. meeting you can catch the audio of the presentation here:

http://ozarksneighborlyexchange.com/SMF/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3.0;attach=408


The slides are attached to this message (you need to be logged into the forum to see these attachments).

6
Meeting Minutes / Re: Post -only- O.N.E. Meeting Minutes INSIDE this topic
« Last post by Thom on April 06, 2019, 08:52:37 AM »
Here are the audio minutes for the O.N.E. meeting on April 5th.

The recorder wasn't started until just before the break, but everything after was.

Part 2 also has the recording of my presentation.
7
Meeting Minutes / Minutes 3-8-19
« Last post by Suzanne Meeks on April 05, 2019, 01:07:51 PM »
OZARKS NEIGHBORLY EXCHANGE
Minutes of the 3-8-19 Meeting

     Tracy called the meeting to order at 6 p.m.  There were 13 present; we introduced ourselves.
     Minutes:  Suzanne read the Minutes of the Feb. 9 meeting.  Heading read Feb. 8.  With no other objections, the Minutes were approved as corrected. 
      Treasurer's Report:  Feb. balance $954.42; income $48 (donations, T-shirt sales); no expenses.  Balance $1,002.42 -- $588.38 designated; $414 available.
No additions or corrections; approved as read.
      Sorghum:  Jon attended the national association meeting; it was geared toward new planters.
     The sorghum group got the grant for beneficial companion plants, but it's probably for next year, according to April Wilson, who didn't specify the amount or what plants it may cover.  She needs to know by March 18 whether or not we want to accept it.
     Chipper:  Lisa got a tube put in the tire that kept going flat; it has held air since. 
     Work party:  Ini's was cancelled due to inclement weather; we'll tray again Sunday, March 17, 10-2.  Ini will post address and information on the Forum.
      Exchanges:  We were going to do them the month after a potluck, but didn't schedule one
in April.  Jon suggested May could be a good time to try again.
    OLD BUSINESS
     Baker Creek Festival:  It's the first week in May.  We need to let them know if we're coming.  The director hasn't emailed Jon.  Ini plans to do some talks and sell plants Sunday and Monday; we're invited to share his table.  There's no charge if we do a demonstration; Suzanne will take her spinning wheel.  Jon will go too.
     We should take some flyers; a discussion ensued about their status.  We should get more printed, but hand them out judiciously.  Thom moved that we spend $50 on printing; Tracy seconded; approved without opposition.  Where's the ONE banner?  Best guess: Jay's.
ANNOUNCEMENTS
     The Theodosia volunteer fire department is doing a hands-only CPR class -- it will be taught by a critical-care nurse. but is not for certification.
     The Small Farm Conference will be March 1920 in West Plains. The cost is $60, $50 each for 5.
     The Gainesville Prepper Society will meet at 5:30 Tuesday at The Meeting Place, the former  License Bureau office on Third Street.  There will be a plant walk around Lick Creek at 5; there will also be a seed swap.  It meets the second Tuesdays.
     Dawt Mill will host farm markets on Sundays, starting in May (they won't do any more craft shows).  Booths are free.  Ava also has a farm market, and the Treasure Gallery and the Wasola store can sell produce too.
     Next meeting:  7 p.m. April 5.  Thom will facilitate and he has a new passion he wants to share.  Tracy will post this on the Calendar.         

                        Respectfully submitted,
                        Suzanne Meeks, Secretary
8
Telephone Messenger / April 5 meeting
« Last post by Suzanne Meeks on April 03, 2019, 03:14:22 PM »
Hello,
     This is Suzanne from Ozarks Neighborly Exchange, reminding you of our April meeting, at 7 p.m. on the 5th.  Thom Mayer will give a talk on his new passion, which he declined to specify, so you'll need to come if you want to hear what it is is.  Hope to see you there.
9
Telephone Messenger / Ini's work party 3-17
« Last post by Suzanne Meeks on March 16, 2019, 02:07:18 PM »
Hello, this is Suzanne from Ozarks Neighborly Exchange, reminding you of Ini's work party, from 10-2 on Sunday, March 17.  Directions are on the forum.
     Be sure to take personal protection equipment including safety goggles, ear protection, and sturdy gloves.  Cutting equipment such as loppers and small chainsaws may be useful, as will ropes or straps for carrying or dragging logs and hauling brush
piles.  Wear appropriate clothing as there will be no indoor space to warm up.  Soup will be provided but take bowls and cutlery you might need, as well as any food you'd like to share.  Hope to see you there.

10
Event Calendar / Rescheduled Work Party at Ini's (finally :)
« Last post by Thom on March 15, 2019, 09:22:34 AM »
What to Bring:
Personal protection equipment - safety goggles, ear protection, sturdy gloves (there are some briars, brambles and thorns)
Cutting equipment - loppers, small chainsaws (may not be needed, but just Un case brush need trimming to move)
Ropes and straps - for carrying or dragging logs and hauling brush piles
Appropriate clothing - there will be no indoor space to warm up so dress accordingly.
Bowls, plates and cutlery - things to eat with

We will have a large pot of soup but cannot offer cutlery and bowls.

Directions From Gainesville :
East on 160
North (Left) on 181
East (Right) on AA
Continue 4.2 miles on AA, past Zion Assembly church (on left), cross one low water bridge then a high water bridge. You will see a field on your right and then 3 mailboxes on your left.
Take first left before mailboxes and an immediately left to continue up our drive. Look for flagging tape.
If you cross a THIRD bridge you've gone too far.
 
From North of Gainesville:
Head South on 181
East (Left) on FF ( this will be the SECOND FF turn off, first will be a right)
Continue on FF about 5 miles. cross 2 low water bridges. You'll see a house on right and open field on the left.
Turn right after 3 mailboxes, and an an immediately left to continue up our drive. Look for flagging tape.
If you cross a THIRD bridge you've gone too far.
 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10